Chocolate Pecan Pie
Rich chocolate pecan pie made with a brown sugar filling, crunchy pecans, rich chocolate, all in a homemade buttery, flaky pie crust.
We are talking all about pies. This is the pinnacle of pie season and let’s embrace all things pie. When I think of Thanksgiving pies, three classic pies come to mind — pumpkin, apple, and pecan. They are a must on our Thanksgiving table!
I have shared my classic old-fashioned pecan pie recipe already so it was time to elevate it just a little. This Chocolate Pecan Pie is a pecan pie made even better. Rich chocolate chips pair so perfectly with the crunchy pecans and sweet brown sugar filling all in a buttery, flay pie crust.
This is a Southern classic pecan pie studded with semi-sweet chocolate chips. It has all of the components of a perfect pecan pie — butter, brown sugar, Karo syrup, eggs, vanilla, pecans, and chocolate in a homemade buttery crust. You are going to fall in love with this pie! This Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie is always a huge crowd pleaser!
How to make the Best Chocolate Pecan Pie:
- Start by melting butter, brown sugar, and Karo syrup in a saucepan. You can use either light or dark Karo syrup, depending on the depth of flavor you desire. Dark Karo syrup has molasses in it so it has a stronger flavor. I call for light Karo syrup in this recipe but it is all a matter of preference.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature (about 15 minutes) and then add eggs and vanilla and whisk well. Add the pecan halves and fold into the brown sugar filling.
- Make the homemade pie crust by mixing flour, salt, butter, and cold water/vinegar mixture. This is such an easy butter pie crust recipe and is a huge difference maker in this chocolate chip pecan pie.
- Sprinkle with semi-sweet chocolate chips or chocolate bar chunks. You can also use milk chocolate chips but I do like to use a little dark chocolate to offset the sweet brown sugar filling.
If you love pie, check out these other PIE RECIPES:
Lemon Sour Cream Pie
Caramel Apple Pie
White Chocolate Macadamia Chocolate Ganache Pie
Double Chocolate Marble Pie
The BEST Pumpkin Pie — AWARD WINNING!
Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie
Sweet Cherry Pie
Traditional Perfect Pumpkin Pie
Caramel Banana Cream Pie
I hope you love this Chocolate Pecan Pie! I love to hear from you! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. Sign up for my newsletter below so you never miss a recipe. Thank you for following along! I truly do have the greatest readers. FOLLOW ME ON: INSTAGRAM — FACEBOOK— PINTEREST
Chocolate Pecan Pie Rich chocolate pecan pie made with a brown sugar filling, crunchy pecans, rich chocolate, all in a homemade buttery, flaky pie crust.
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Light Karo Syrup (or dark Karo)
- 3 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Pecan Halves
- 3/4 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/4 cups Flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter (cold, cut into small cubes)
- 2 Tablespoons to 1/4 cup Cold Water (or buttermilk or milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vinegar (if not using buttermilk)
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla (optional)
- Chocolate Shavings
Stir together flour and salt. Slice cold butter into tiny shreds and add to bowl or food processor. Pulse until coarse meal or small peas form.
Slowly add ice cold water, 1-2 tablespoons at a time to butter-flour mixture. Add vinegar and pulse until it starts to form together.Press dough into a ball. Pat each ball into a disk. If you have extra time, tightly wrap in Saran Wrap and let it chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Unwrap the dough, turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and roll it out, using a rolling pin. Don't overwork the dough. Roll it to at least a 13-inch diameter circle. Fold the dough in half and gently lift and position it over the pie pan. Unfold.
Press the dough against the sides and bottom of a pan. Flute the edges by pressing the dough between the index finger and thumb of one hand and using the index finger of the other hand to make the scallop. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and light Karo syrup. Cook for 5 minutes or until silky smooth and glossy.
Remove from heat and chill for 15 minutes or until it cools to room temperature. Add vanilla and eggs and whisk well to combine. Stir in pecan halves.
Pour into prepared pie shell. Sprinkle chocolate chips all over the filling. Carefully press down some of the chocolate chips. Put on baking sheet. Bake for 45 - 55 minutes or until filling is cooked and pie crust is lightly golden brown. **Check halfway through cooking time and add pie shield or foil to cover pie crust to prevent too much browning.
Let it come to room temperature to set-up. Serve with fresh whipped cream.
In a cold mixing bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and whip until medium peaks form. Top each slice of pie with a dollop of whipped cream.