This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The Best Coconut Macaroons
Soft chewy sweet coconut macaroons are the perfect gluten-free cookie. How to make the perfect coconut macaroons dipped in dark chocolate.
Oh how I love COOKIE WEEK here on Modern Honey. I have thoroughly enjoyed recipe testing to ultimately declare these the BEST Coconut Macaroon cookie. The beauty of this cookie is that it is a naturally gluten-free cookie and contains no flour and it tastes amazing!
I tried all sorts of methods on the path to making the perfect coconut macaroon cookie. I made a pasty cream from scratch, I used sweetened condensed milk, I used butter, I whipped my egg whites, I didn’t whip my egg whites, etc. Basically, I tweaked and tweaked until I got them just right.
If you love COCONUT, you are going to go crazy for these coconut cookies. I loved adding a little bit of butter to add creaminess and add a touch of saltiness to balance out the sweetness.
What ingredients are in the Best Coconut Macaroons?
These chewy Coconut Macaroons only call for 6 ingredients — sweetened coconut flakes, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract, two egg whites whipped, salt, and butter.
If you really want to elevate your coconut macaron, you can dip them in melted chocolate. These Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons are one of my favorite cookies! Since these coconut macaroons are sweet, I love to dip them in dark chocolate to give a perfect contrast to the sweetness.
How to dip Coconut Macaroons in chocolate:
Once you bake the coconut macaroons, let them chill and set-up. Once they have cooled, melt the chocolate in 30-second increments in the microwave or in a double boiler. I love to use Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Melting Wafers because they melt so beautifully and the chocolate is silky smooth. You may also use any type of chocolate bar or chocolate chips.
Once the chocolate is melted, carefully pick up the coconut macaroon and dipped the bottom in chocolate. Place on a cooling rack or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Let set up and harden. You may even place in the refrigerator is you like to eat them cold. You end up with decadent Chocolate Coconut Macaroons!
How to make the BEST CHEWY COCONUT MACAROONS:
- Start by stirring together the sweetened flaked coconut, sweetened condensed milk, melted butter, and vanilla. If you want extra vanilla flavor, feel free to add more vanilla extract. You can also use scraped vanilla beans or vanilla bean paste for authentic vanilla flavor.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Fold into the coconut mixture. Make sure to get it all evenly incorporated.
- Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets. If you don’t have parchment paper, spray with non-stick cooking spray or use a Silpat liner. Bake until the some of the coconut flakes started to turn a golden color. Watch carefully so the bottoms don’t become too browned.
- Let cool on pans for only about 2 minutes or they will stick to the pan as they cool.
- If dipping in chocolate, melt chocolate in double boiler or in a microwave in 30-second increments. My chocolate of choice is Ghirardelli melting wafers. Carefully pick up coconut macaroon and dip the bottom in the chocolate. Place on a cooling rack or parchment paper to allow time to set up.
CHRISTMAS COOKIES and GOODIES RECIPES:
- Mrs. Claus Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies
Frosted Sugar Cookies
Molasses Cookies (soft gingerbread cookies)
Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Bark
Vanilla Caramel Fudge
Peanut Butter Blossoms (peanut butter chocolate kiss cookies)
Homemade Peppermint Bark
Gingersnap Oreos with cream cheese filling
Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
Chocolate Caramel Stuffed Cookies
Chocolate Brownie Cookies
Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
Orange Cream Cookies (soft orange cookies with cream cheese frosting)
White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies
Chocolate Brownie Cookies
Soft M & M Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies
Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies
Peppermint Frosted Brownies
Cranberry White Chocolate Orange Cookies
Oreo Stuffed Candy Monster Cookies
Rocky Road Cookies
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
The Best Coconut Macaroons
- (1) 14-ounce bag Sweetened Coconut Flakes (5 cups -- such as Baker's Angel Flake Sweetened Coconut)
- 3/4 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 large Egg Whites (beaten until stiff peaks form)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 12 ounces Dark or Semisweet Chocolate Wafers or Bar (melted -- OPTIONAL)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper sheets.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together coconut, sweetened condensed milk, melted butter, and vanilla.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Once they are formed, fold egg whites into the coconut mixture, making sure to fully fold the egg whites into the coconut.
- Using two spoons or an ice cream scoop, scoop mounds of the coconut mixture and place on parchment paper lined baking sheets. If you don't have parchemnt paper, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes. Watch carefully as the bottoms can become too browned. Remove from the oven and let setup for about 2 minutes. Carefully remove and place on cooling rack.
- If dipping into chocolate, place the chocolate in microwave-safe bowl. Heat in 30 second increments until melted. Carefully pick up each macaroon, and dip the bottom into the melted dark chocolate. Place on a cooling rack or parchment paper lined baking sheet. Let set up and cool.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.